Hi, my name is Loes!
(which is pronounced like the Spanish word 'luz')
I started coaching when I was 16. As a swim coach I taught kids aged 5-12 how to swim, but more importantly I helped them overcome their fear of water. Seeing them become a little more confident week after week until they felt just as free in the water as outside of it was such a joy!
After finishing my degrees I found a career in online marketing and online tech. I got to work at some of the best companies in the world, including Google, Apple and WhatsApp. Sometimes my work directly impacted millions of people on a daily basis, a truly exciting world to be a part of!
Yet at the same time I felt empty more and more often. I had always been someone who follow her heart, but somehow, without me even noticing it, my head had slowly taken over and I had lost that connection with my heart. I made a lot of mistakes and turned into someone I didn't even recognise anymore. I didn't like the person I had become very much either.
The years that followed I struggled to maintain a balance between my heart and my head. I still struggle. When I manage to maintain that balance, life is great and I feel connected and in flow, but at other times I struggle to not let my head take over completely. When my head does win, I wrestle with depression. It's a journey, an immensely difficult one at times, but very powerful as well. Our shadows can teach us just as much as our light.
My journey of self-awareness is ongoing and one I'm deeply committed to. Amongst other things, I've personally trained and been certified by healer and author Denise Linn and I've studied positive psychology with Dr. Tal Ben-Shahar (who taught one of Harvard’s most popular — and life-changing— courses on positive psychology).
In my coaching practice I use a broad range of tools from meditations to science and research based interventions.
Other cool facts about me:
- I grew up in a village in the south of the Netherlands, just two streets away from Belgium. We crossed the border weekly for errands. Maybe that's what kindled my desire to travel the world and live abroad. In the past 20 years I've lived in 8 different countries on 3 continents, including Ireland, India, the Philippines and the USA (California). I'm currently based in Switzerland and loving it.
- As a child I wanted to become a writer and I made that dream come true: I co-authored this book and was featured in this one.
- My dad was a teacher/guidance counsellor at a high school where many kids had learning disabilities. He taught me how to listen between the lines to what is not said. My mom was a nurse who showed me what caring deeply for the people we work with means.
- One of the concurrently most fun and exciting things I've ever done was give a talk at Ignite Dublin: 5 minutes on stage using 20 slides, which auto-advance every 15 seconds.
- Nature is my medicine of choice and going on a hike makes everything better.
- I once danced on stage with Bryan Adams.